Monday, March 10, 2008

Lining 'em up

2.5 hours researching, 2.5 hours writing, page count = 202

Welcome to this week's monitor, my dear old dad Hugo Cardona, in Milwaukee!

Each day lately I move a little bit closer to a very concrete goal: completing a draft of the revised Chapter 1 so I can send it to my main advisor. It's now 50 pages, most of which are new, all of which have been revised several times since January. Today I filled in the smaller gaps, relating to some pending cites on Colombia, Mexico, and Paraguay. Now I'm really focused on some pending information on Uruguay, and some broader comparative data on the balance between the army and police in other countries besides Colombia. This is a new piece that one of my advisors encouraged me to focus on in December, so I'm gathering that information.

It's interesting, Uruguay turns out to be less straightforward than I had anticipated, but that may end up strengthening my argument rather than weakening it. The key moment was when I lined up prevalence of coups and prevalence of insurrections after the end of the state formation period (1910), developed a measure for each, and then compared them. The rank order looks a lot like what I would expect it to be given my hypothesis of the importance of security-force configurations. So it'll be interesting to see what happens as I get more information on the army-police resource differential.

1 comment:

I Cappi said...

Dearest Son,
I had a dinner appointment last night and didn't read your posting until this morning. I will be more vigilant now.

It seems like you are "smelling and seeing" the end of the Dissertation marathon now. Your comments and actions seem to be more focused and precise and aimed to the end result.

Please remember the end result is your graduation, after you will have a lot of time to "polish and embellish" you great work. I hardly can wait to the day when you can share the results of these efforts with us.

I am looking forward to your next posting and another day of great results.

Ti Voglio tanto benne, Il Babbo