Saturday, March 8, 2008

Knife fight!

3 hours writing, 3 hours researching, page count = 202

I split up my time between Friday and Saturday. In terms of research, I went through a number of articles about crime and policing in Argentina and Uruguay, which are two of my key comparison cases. The Uruguay essay was a fascinating look at the masculine culture of duels in the Uruguay-Brazil border region. Key concept: the culture of masculine honor, enforced through duels, is in direct opposition to the state's effort to monopolize legitimate violence, expressed through the security forces. Important to keep in mind, as it's very reminiscent of what went on in isolated rural parts of Colombia during La Violencia.

In terms of writing, I’m very close now to a complete draft of the revised Chapter 1, which is the bulk of the changes I need to make. I need to gather a couple of additional cites on Mexico, Paraguay, and Uruguay, and confirm some information about comparative-case security forces, and I’ll be ready for a final polish and to send it off to my main advisor. Exciting!

I've been following up on my job interview from earlier this week, getting in touch with funders in my network to get their advice and insight. I had a particularly helpful conversation on Friday that really laid out the opportunities and challenges inherent in this position, if I move any further in the process. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to this week’s monitor, Allison Cardona! Next up is my father, Hugo Cardona, in Milwaukee. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job this week! I had a lot of fun reading your posts and seeing the process unfold. Good luck with the interviewing!

I Cappi said...

Dear Son,

As Alli leaves the stage I am entering to assume my rightful role "de Monitor Vitalicio [por vida, in case someone doubts my determination this time].

I am looking forward to your final yards before your Dissertation Marathon ends. Mamy and I continue to pray [y prender velitas].

Love you very much, Dad