Friday, March 28, 2008

Just call me Cap'n

6 hours compiling data, 1 hour researching, emailing and planning travel, page count = 203

This is between yesterday and today.

On the career front, it's now down to three people they're considering for the job I've been interviewing for, and my next interview is on April 14th. Fingers crossed! Had a good conversation yesterday with a colleague who works at a philanthropic-advisory group. Also spoke today with another colleague who saw of my writing on other (philanthropy) blogs on diversity in philanthropy and wanted to follow up for a project she's working on. I guess I'll be commenting on that publication when it's published online.

I've set my next trip to the Bay Area for April 15-19, and have reached out to a number of friends from the foundation and nonprofit world there with whom I'd like to get together.

On the data front, I've now completed Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Venezuela. I'm a stone's throw away from completing Bolivia. That leaves Peru, for which I've requested the missing data for Monday, and Ecuador and Brazil, the latter of which are vexing me in terms of finding hard numbers on troop size. However, once I finish Bolivia and fill in Peru, I'm going to say "good enough" as far as the draft that I can share in advance of my trip. That means next week I will analyze all this data, make appropriate changes and updates to the revised Chapter 1, and FINALLY have that bad boy done and out for comments. Whew! Fleshing out the comparative framework has turned out to be quite the undertaking, but I've learned a ton and will have a lot to discuss both in Chapter 1 and in the "in comparative perspective" chapter. The remaining changes are going to be relatively easy after this.

Thanks to this week's monitor, Cathy Sumner. That brings to a close "Family Month" on It Takes a Village. Thanks to Cathy, my sister Allison, my mom Gloria, and my dad Hugo for seeing me through this data-crunching phase! Up next is Geordan Drummond, in Philadelphia. Have a great weekend!

No comments: