Thursday, March 13, 2008

Budgets

4 hours processing data, page count = 203

You know you're a problem patron at the library when they have to label a cart with your name. My stacks of historical budget documents arrived at the library from offsite today, and I got through Argentina and 2/3s of Bolivia. It's definitely slow going. The budget numbers themselves are quick to get; but I'm also taking the time to get counts of the relative troop/agent levels for the army and police. It'll take a while, but it'll make a much stronger measure of the army/police relationship at the beginning and end of the state formation period. This is the one real hurdle I have left in terms of analysis, and tomorrow I'll keep leaping over it.

I also spent quite a bit of time today reaching out to contacts in my network regarding my interview next week, gathering background information. As my dad said in his comment, it's exciting to have these two aspects of my life moving along well. Add in a fun visit from Matt and Laura, who left this morning, and an event for VPF next Wednesday, and there's a lot going on! Spring is around the corner, with the promise of renewal....

3 comments:

I Cappi said...

My Dearest Son,

And the Spring of your new future. It is funny, as I was walking to work this morning only 35 degrees and no wind, it felt like Florida last week at 75 degrees. I thought about you and Alli and how our mind and our bodies adapt very quickly to the changing environment and convince us that what we have now is the best that we can have. Reading all these months your postings may me realize that “manana-tomorrow” it always means that no matter what happens today, tomorrow will be up to me and, perhaps, I WILL BE ABLE TO DETERMINE THE OUTCOME.

I am envious and I celebrate your youth, and the youth of all your friends, who are the future of this country and the world. I hope that you can do a better job than we did. And having met many of you I know that I am not wrong. YOU WILL DO A BETTER JOB!

You will wonder, what does this have to do with my dissertation? I will answer everything! You see I am in a different place now, Mamy is back in Milwaukee and it is not only Spring, it is Summer and all of me is blooming. When I hear from you and Alli is like food for my soul and I want you to know how proud I am of being your Father.

AND DON’T FORGET. COMPLETE YOUR DRAFT FOR YOUR ADVISOR UNDER MY WATCH OR ELSE!

With all my love, Dad

Rjewell40 said...

What a lucky man you are, Chris, to have such a father.
And to be on the brink of finishing such a herculean task.
And to be on the move forward in a career you've chosen (not one chosen for you).

Bon courage on your final analysis hurdles.

Unknown said...

Wow. That was wonderful.

(Right up until the "threat" at the end, anyway ;-) )