Friday, November 16, 2007

Transfer

1.5 hours writing, 3 hours reading, 1 hour emailing, page count = 178

Continued reading today about the Colombia-Perú war of 1932-34. I got a little stuck, and figured I was too focused on one episode, so I switched over to a more macro view, and read in a history of the 20th century Colombian economy, edited by a former professor of mine. Lo and behold, he had a very clear statement about the tradeoff that policymakers choose between more guerrillas and more military coups. Nice to know I'm not crazy, and that these ideas are in circulation! That was a good validation that I'm on the right track.

In terms of writing, I continued incorporating Antioquia into the chapter on critical antecedents, and I reorganized the chapter on La Violencia according to the distinct bi-annual episodes that I identified in Medellín and gathered data on while there. I set up a couple more meetings, and worked with my cousin in Colombia to facilitate online transfer of all of the photos that Ana María took of ministerial reports from 1915-46. Not quite there yet, but we should have it figured out by Monday.

Thanks to my dad, Hugo Cardona, for being a great and diligent repeat monitor. Keeping it in the family, next up for the abbreviated Thanksgiving week is my darling wife, Catherine Sumner. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

I Cappi said...

My Dear Son:
It is with heavy heart but gladly that EL MONITOR VITALICIO POR VIDA writes its last contribution of this week assignment. Gladly because it is our beloved Cathy who is next, so is all in the family now.
WOW! What a great progress in your writing [you “are really cooking” now]. I am looking forward to continue reading your postings and appreciating your great progress as we enter the final stage of your marathon, “Mi Dotorcito”.
Love you very much, Daddy