Monday, November 26, 2007

Pedal to the metal

7 hours writing/reading, page count = 193

Hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving. This week's monitor is Julie Vogt, in Madison. Julie is a fellow grad student, studying theater (I believe), at the University of Wisconsin. She got married at Burning Man, her dissertation is about the history of burlesque, and her email handle is "uberblonde." My mom still remembers her as the woman at our wedding with the vintage dress and matching gloves. Welcome, Julie!

Well, that's more like it. After a weekend of turkey (plus writing 3 pages), I put in some focused time on the critical-juncture chapter. While I'm not quite there yet with a complete draft, I added a lot of empirical material. Tomorrow, I'll plan to complete that chapter and make serious headway on the La Violencia chapter.

Short but sweet today: it's go time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris, I think you deserve a gold star for writing pages over the holiday weekend. Cranking out a even a few pages demonstrates your great drive and focus. I'm sure you're to the point where you eat, sleep and dream in dissertation.

Looking over your posts in recent weeks I was struck by just how much information you have to absorb and process. There are whole books to sift through, looking for those gems of support & synchronicity. In my topic - burlesque - there is so little written that is reliable (two academic books, 4-5 popular books without citations) and a scattered archive (I buy a lot of diss material off ebay!). Yet we are both writing histories - a narrative continuity -- informed by data and lived experience.

Remember to enjoy getting it all out on paper. I'm sure these final pages have been marinating in your head for a long time!