Thursday, November 29, 2007

Extension

3 hours processing data, 3 hours writing, 1 hour reading, page count = 208

I continue to make good progress, but I'll need a couple of extra days to complete a full draft. Having informed my committee, I'm now aiming for this Sunday, December 2nd.

Today I worked on the chapter on La Violencia, incorporating data from my fieldwork in Antioquia. There's a lot of good stuff there, and it's flowing pretty easily to incorporate it into the text.

I also read a couple of pieces relating to Mexico in anticipation of working on the "in comparative perspective" chapter over the weekend. One of the sources made a strong argument that Mexico, Argentina, and Colombia all went broadly similar process of nation-state development starting in 1880 - conveniently the start of the critical juncture of security-force configuration that I identify in the dissertation. Handy! It sure is nice when new sources confirm your arguments.

Onward tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go! Your focus and dedication are really inspiring me. I've been neglecting my proposal and dodging my adviser (who is conveniently finishing a book and can't chase me around :)

Serving as monitor has really reinforced the necessity of deadlines (or at least pledges to one's committee). You're taking a slight extension, but it will allow you to finish your first draft - which will be a great sense of completion.

It also sounds like you have renewed enthusiasm for the work. Write, write, write without self-criticism. You're at a great point where things can be changed and adapted in the future, but you still the satisfaction of reaching a (tentative) end!

Chris said...

Thanks, Jules! That's definitely been the main lesson for me of these six months, is to just get the words down on paper. I was once told that the two main things I would learn in grad school are what not to read and how to write badly. The latter really means giving up the fixation, cultivated in undergrad, with making a semester's term paper perfect, because it's an end product. In grad school, it's just the beginning: articles are constantly revised before and after submission, dissertations go through multiple drafts, books are negotiated with publishers: the important thing is to get it out there and to keep moving forward.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so as well!