Friday, November 9, 2007

Embriaguez y escandalo

4 hours processing data, 0.5 hours meeting, 0.5 hours emailing, page count = 164

I continued working with the database of police records that I received from Ana María yesterday. I finished coding all the variables. It looks like most of the records are either from before La Violencia or during La Violencia and before Rojas. I had hoped to have more records from after Rojas, i.e., during the military regime, but what I do have will give me a good picture of what the police forces were actually like in Antioquia before and during La Violencia. I think I'll go back and focus on what I have before and after the nationalization of the Antioquia police in 1949, to see what difference, if any, that reform made.

Gosh, these guys were really badly behaved. Out of the 180 records where a cause of leaving the institution is listed, 14% were for "drunkenness and scandal" and 31% were for lack of discipline or other bad conduct. Now I'll want to look to see if those numbers change at different times under different institutional configurations.

I had a great conversation with a former Berkeley grad student who advised me about the endgame of completing the dissertation; very sound and concrete advice that will help me bring this ship safely into the harbor.

Thanks to this week's monitor, Val Wang. Next up is a repeat performance from my dad, Hugo Cardona, in Milwaukee. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

I Cappi said...

Per domanda populare it tuo Babbo ritorna come, Monitor Vitalicio por Vida. Sei veramente fregato, diranno il tui ammicci!

In any case, i have faithfully read all of your postings (I do that every week anyway) and I have two comments to offer:

1. Antioquia since I was a little child was considered the economic power of Colombia, especially, industrials [Clothing: Coltejer, Fabricato; Beer: Pilsen; gold, coal, etc.)
2. Even though in Colombia we didn’t have the systematic way to classify races [Caucasian, Hispanic, Afro American, etc], we also did itby calling ourselves: blanco, trigueno, noreno, mulato, meztizo, negro, etc.

The more things change the more they stay the same!

Congratulations in defining the number of pages according to the Berkeley standard that you must meet. Very smart!

Since I first got my assignment you have made the following progress:

Activity 17-Oct 9-Nov Progress Made %
READING/RESEARCHING 268.5 314.5 46.0 17.1%
MEETINGS 16.0 36.0 20.0 125.0%
EMAILING 30.8 38.3 7.5 24.4%
PLANNING 9.5 24.5 15.0 157.9%
WRITING 90.5 107.5 17.0 18.8%
ADMINISTRIVIA 34.3 51.3 17.0 49.6%
TOTAL HOURS WORKED 449.5 572.0 122.5 27.3%
PAGES WRITTEN 136.0 164.0 28.0 20.6%
# COMMENTS POSTED 145.0 169.0 24.0 16.6%

Ti voglio tanto bene, Il Babbo