Thursday, December 13, 2007

Structure

8 hours writing, page count = 172

I'm continuing to revise the chapter on the critical juncture of security-force configuration between 1880 and 1910. There are two sections, one on the police and one on the army. The police section has been a bear to pin down, but I think I finally have it. Boy, the exercise of writing around outcomes rather than chronology has been challenging but productive. I think I found a structure that makes sense for that section. Now to finish the other section and have that chapter ready for my meeting with my advisor tomorrow. Onward!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be interested in hearing the differences and similarities between the Army and Police parts, and how you'll tie em together.

It's always energizing to find that better way to tell your info; for my thesis script, I've changed it from one long story, to two halves, a he-said-he-said structure, with several scenes repeated from either point of view. But once I came to that better structure, it was gravy and has just come together.

Sounds like you're finding a similar groove, which is awesome. Wish I was with you guys tonight so I could hear all this from the horse's mouth!
D

Chris said...

Thanks, Dan! I know what you mean, finding the right structure just makes everything fall into place. Reminds of William Goldman's second memoir about being a screenwriter, Which Lie Did I Tell?, where he says the main misconception people have about that craft is that it's about writing good dialogue. It's much more about finding a narrative structure that flows naturally, he says. Your thesis script sounds cool, I'll be interested to see the final product!

The Police part is about a series of failed reforms, and the Army part is about a series of successful reforms. But they both involve engagement with European models of army professionalization and policing.