Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snip snip

3 hours meeting, 7 hours writing, page count = 176

This week's monitor is Dan Faltz, in Los Angeles. Welcome back, Dan!

I arrived in the Bay Area last night, and had my first set of meetings with my advisors today. They were very productive. I got a lot of good feedback, and have many changes to make. The first set involved trimming down the introductory chapters considerably, and integrating them into a single, tight introductory chapter. So this afternoon and evening, I worked on that. I cut out quite a lot, set it aside, and then started figuring out where I really needed that information, and how to get it across most succinctly. The result so far is a much more streamlined introduction and motivation of the empirical discussion, which I now get to very quickly. This is all to the good. I'll have more meetings this week, and will keep writing and revising.

P.S. Happy birthday, Dad!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Chris, I really enjoyed my relationship with my mentors on my Haas thesis; found it very rewarding to be working so closely with women I admired. That must be agreat feeling to be so far along!
Funny, even at a different school and in a different field, editing and content come up; it's always the fine points of a story and how we make them clear, by omitting or adding.Personally, I tend to lose my objectivity when I'm working closely on something for a long period of time, and that outside perspective keeps me in check. Looking forward to hearing what develops.
D

Unknown said...

Hey Chris! Great to have drinks and oysters with you today, and to find this blog! I'm totally doing this myself when the time comes. :) Anyway, keep in touch and congratulations on making it all this way!!

I Cappi said...

Dear Son:

Thank you for your birthday wishes and the gift of knowing that you are so close to your goal.

Love you very much, Daddy