Thursday, June 28, 2007

What a day...

4 hours reading/researching

What a frustrating day to be Latino in this country. I'm distracted from my dissertation by the news: The Senate votes down comprehensive immigration reform, ensuring the system will stay broken for years to come; and the Supreme Court issues a landmark decision essentially prohibiting public schools from taking race into account in assigning students to schools, ensuring that patterns of residential segregation will map onto the public-school population, affecting students of color potentially for generations.

I'm a political scientist, used to studying even the most horrible phenomena (like La Violencia in Colombia) with a degree of analytic detachment (however personally motivated by choice of projects may be). But this makes me angry, in a way I can't articulate or even explain. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel differently, but today it feels like 2 of the 3 branches of power are saying to Latinos, "Good luck climbing up the ladder; we're just going to knock out a couple of the rungs." But as is always the case, Latino families will find a way to improve their lives and pursue el sueno americano, in the face of the most forbidding obstacles....

Anyway, in terms of my dissertation, I continued to read about institutional design, and research the three states I've tentatively identified for a subnational comparison. I have two states that are in high-conflict areas, one with a high level of electoral competition and another with a lower level of electoral competition. The third state is in a low-conflict area, and has a low level of electoral competition. (Here's the thing: conflict and electoral competition are highly correlated; the non-conflictual regions are all pretty homogeneous in terms of their electoral make-up.) So I want to look at two high-conflict areas with differing levels of electoral competition to see what the impact in the police is in each one, and I want to have a comparison area where there's not conflict, and look at the police dynamic there. Interestingly, the low-conflict area I chose turns out to have, in 1938, significantly higher police and military presence. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm interested to pursue it further....

Today I was at the Science, Industry, and Business Library of the NY Public Library, which is quite a contrast with the main building I've been going to ("the one on Fifth") - much more modern and high-tech. I'll be back here tomorrow to continue looking at the 1938 census, hopefully coming to a conclusion whether these three states are the ones I want.

3 comments:

Marco Mojica said...

I share your sentiments Mr. Chris. It is a sad day though not surprised about the outcome. These decisions are part of the neoconservative plan to push back the social gains of the 1960s and 1970s made by communities of color. They are clearly sending the message to their white constituency: your privileges are safe, remain xenophobic and racist and you will be rewarded.

I have to disagree with you on the latino families will overcome statement. It has to go beyound the family struggle to a social struggle where whiteness is challenged by all of us (especially those who identify as whites) interested in social justice. Whenver you have some time (after the dissertation) read the book: The Possessive Investment in Whiteness by George Lipsitz. It provides a great analysis of what I am talking about and the tools to think about how to act collectively. I highly reccomend it.

Well brother this should also serve you as inspiration to keep struggling. We need you to finish your dissertation now more than ever! This is your site of struggle for now. La lucha sigue...

En solidaridad
Marco

Rjewell40 said...

It's 2 steps back for each step forward, I agree.

I've wondered that the conversation about immigration hasn't focused at all on the countries whose citizens are faced with such a choice. Why spend a squillion $ on a fence when agencies in Latin America could use that money to create jobs....

I'm just sayin' is all.

It sounds like you're making progress. Keep the faith.
Becca

Chris said...

Thanks for the great comments, guys. Marco, I was talking about what individual families *will* do, as opposed to what an organized movement *could* do. Naturally, they're two different things, and the latter requires organizing effort.