Thursday, June 14, 2007

5.5 hours reading/research, 0.5 hours emailing.

Having been flummoxed yesterday by too many directions to pursue, I flipped the problem on its head today and took a few steps in each of a number of different directions: I did some more math, I read more in Blood and Fire, culling information about regional studies of the 1946-1966 time period that interests me for Colombia, I started reading an essay collection on the Latin American security forces, and I started reading a methodological piece on case study research. I have a growing list of sources to consult at the New York Public Library, so a field trip is certainly in order next week.

This past weekend, Cathy and I went to a fun new restaurant called Hill Country. The name refers to the area outside Austin, legendary for its barbecue. Cathy and I went to the hill country last summer, as we were visiting friends in Austin, with predictable results.



The sign in the first picture says, "Vegetarians Enter Here, Normal Folks Down the Hall." Kreuz Market is the temple of 'q in Lockhart, TX, that Hill Country is explicitly modeled on. [Edited to add: That's me drooling, a la Homer Simpson, over the thought of delicious meat next to the Kreuz sign.] Although the staff was somewhat unorganized on opening night, and they were out of a lot of things, it was definitely on a par with the original, and worth a return visit...hmm, perhaps tomorrow night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you need to point out that you're drooling over the delicious meat in the photo on the right - it kind of looks like you're crying or else just acting generally bizarre.

Kristin + Phil said...

I can't WAIT to check out Hill Country. I'm hoping to go with coworkers next week. Sorry for the delayed comment here. We went to Soto last night (awesome!) and I totally shirked my duties. Way to go on the multi tasking.