Monday, June 2, 2008

Mataron a Gaitan

1 hour writing, 4 hours processing data, page count = 227

Worked on the third of the six episodes in the Antioquia chapter today. This is the one about the aftermath of the April 9, 1948 assassination of populist Liberal leader Jorge Eliecer Gaitan. Antioquia was generally pretty quiet compared to other states, so I've needed to bring in episodes from those to flesh out the Antioquia story, but there are actually a couple of interesting stories that go on in Antioquia itself. I find myself returning to the rich sources that I mined at the state archives in Medellin last fall. It seems so long ago now, but the detail I was able to gather is the gift that keeps on giving.

Tomorrow I'll finish up episode 3 and go back to the library to work on the U.S. and Mexico comparisons.

1 comment:

I Cappi said...

My Dear Doctor,

I was 6 years of age on April 9, 1948 when they assassinated Gaitan. We were living in Bogotá and I remember the school turmoil when the news were received, my Mother coming to pick my sister and I from “El Colegio de la Senorita Maria Luisa”, going to the city center to look for Manolo, and all the burning and killing we saw. For the next week it got only worse.

I remember trying to find powder milk for my brother Eduardo who was only 6 months old. And I remember distinctly that Antioquia didn’t go through the same turmoil as the other cities because “ellos son godos” [they were a majority of “conservadores”].

Anyway thank you for the memories that you’re posting brought back. For me it was a great adventure then and, of course, I made the most out of it.

Love you very much, Dad