Friday, June 20, 2008

Jump around

5 hours writing, page count = 250

This includes time spent earlier in the week. Lots of stuff going on the past several days, more soon from the Department of Mysteries.

In the meantime, I'm going back through Chapter 4, having completed a second pass at all six episodes, editing, tightening, and making consistent. I also jumped forward to Chapter 5 and the Conclusion, adding in some materials, smoothing a few other things out. I maintain a file called "Cut from Dissertation Manuscript Worth Keeping." Intriguingly - or depressingly - it's 174 pages at this point. A couple of different times, I've strip-mined entire sections out of chapters to get at the veins of pure ore lying beneath them. Now that I've located those, I can go back to the strip-mined materials and use them to strengthen the mineshaft through which the pure ore flows. That said, a lot of the strip-mined materials is just useless rocks that don't fit together or don't grind down into fine enough powder to use as building materials. All part of the process.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: