Monday, January 28, 2008

Debris

4.5 hours writing, page count = 186

Welcome to this week's monitor, Nicole Peterson, in Seattle! Actually, Nicole lives on an island near Seattle that I think may be Bainbridge Island, but in actuality, I also picture as the scary island from The Ring.

I saw a documentary about the glass artist Dale Chihuly once, and as he - or his assistant, actually - was making a sculpture, he would create a central shape from molten glass, and as it began to cool, take a piece of molten glass debris, perhaps from a failed earlier attempt, and use it to create other parts of the sculpture, like a handle or a detail. That's what I was doing today: melting down debris from last week's blowtorching of Chapter 1 and reintegrating it in a new and prettier way. The throughline from the very first section is flowing pretty well, and I've nearly finished the connection to the comparative framework piece. Onward!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the hearty welcome, Chris. Rest assured, I avoid all wells on the island.

I like to hear that you are finding some use for your discarded writings. Keep up that digging and refinangling! Only, spell it right.