Thursday, January 17, 2008

6 vs. 2

1 hour writing, 3 hours researching, page count = 194

Continued researching Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay, focusing in particular on Chile today. I have a few Chilean history texts from when I was originally going to have it be a full-fledged case for my dissertation, so I used those to cross-reference my reading at the library. What's striking about the Chilean 19th century is how early constitutional order was established, how orderly electoral succession was, and yet how much ferment there was within the party system: by the turn of the 20th century, there were six reasonably well-established parties competing for power, several of which had been in place for decades. I'm not yet sure what to make of the contrast between the stability-in-multiplicity of Chile and the structured two-party systems of Colombia and Uruguay at this time. Whatever the case, those all qualify as relatively strong party systems when compared to the disorder going on in Argentina at the time.

In terms of writing, I continue revising the comparative framework, and I have the feeling that tomorrow I'm going to make some significant changes: I see a very different way to organize Chapter 1 that will mean moving a lot of stuff around. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Marco Mojica said...

After a late start, you picked up the pace and are on your way to getting done by your february deadline.
Great Work!!

Enjoy the weekend!
Marco

Rjewell40 said...

My mother is on a cruise in the South right now in Chile and Argentina. She was explaining that there was a sizable influx of Germans in the 1850's as they were looking for industrious folks to help populate their country. They apparently offered something like the 40 acres and a mule: They were offered free passage, l250 acres of and, one cow, tools, and some money to settle in the sparsely inhabited south of Chile.
Who knew??
Do you see any discussion of this?

Chris said...

Yeah, lots of European immigration is actually one of the things that makes the Southern Cone very distinct from the rest of Latin America. It was even more pronounced in Argentina, which actively courted massive immigration from Italy in the late 19th century. You can see the influence in the food and in people's surnames and accent, which to my italophone ears has a very Italian intonation.

A German mission was actually key in helping Chile modernize its army during the time I write about. This enters into my story because Colombia (and a few other countries) bought German military expertise on the cheap - by getting it from Chile.