Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The butler's story

2.5 hours writing, 0.5 hours meeting, 0.5 hours emailing, 0.5 hours planning, page count = 133

Had a great phone conversation with Miguel Angel Centeno, whose Blood and Debt was one of the original inspirations for my project. His main suggestion was provocative and right on: rather than starting with theory and getting to Colombia in later chapters, I should start with an anecdote about the security forces in conflict with each other, and build up from there. In other words, rather than making the reader wait to find out the butler did it, tell the butler's story: start with what happened, then explain why and draw out the broader implications. Makes a lot of sense.

In terms of writing, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for my trip to Colombia, so I dedicated today to bringing my bibiolography up to speed. All the sources that are mentioned in the manuscript are now accounted for in the bibliography, and 90% of them are complete and correct. It's that kind of thing that can trip you up in the very end, so I'm glad to get on top of it now. I also reviewed Berkeley's guidelines for the final manuscript; I'll definitely have my work cut out for me during my trip to the Bay Area in December clearing all the bureaucratic hurdles.

1 comment:

Laura Sumner said...

Good work! Sounds like he gave you a great idea from a writing standpoint- all the better for future publication!

Good idea to work on the editing if you can't work on the writing- much better not to be stuck doing it up until the last second.