Friday, October 12, 2007

Armando el rompecabezas

0.5 hours writing, 6 hours reading/researching, 1 hour emailing/planning, page count = 135

I'm all set for my trip to Medellin on Monday. I have my plane ticket, a place to stay, the hours and address of the archive I'll be visiting, and an appointment with a local academic who's interested in my topic. Here we go!

In terms of writing, I sketched some ideas for a simple formal model to describe the local dynamics of conflict involving politicized police. I've tried this a number of times before, but this time I feel clearer about what is and isn't useful. I think I may be on to something this time. We'll see. I'm sure I looked funny on the bus peering intently at my little notepad with a game tree sketched on it.

I went back to the Police Museum and continued to go through service records for the Medellin Municipal Police. A couple of good political things came up, as well as the involvement of governors and mayors. I think I'm starting to pull the picture together.

In terms of reading, I continued to go through notes from my last trip, and got some useful leads about police legislation that I was able to follow up on in the museum today. Bit by bit, it all gets clearer....

Thanks to Lucía Corral Peña for monitoring this week. Next up is my dad, Hugo Cardona, in Colombia. How appropriate that he be monitoring while I'm in Colombia, given that it was our early conversations about Colombia that got me interested in La Violencia in the first place. They celebrate Columbus Day here next Monday, so everything will be closed, and that's when I'll travel to Medellín. I may make it to the library over the weekend, as there's one that's open Saturday and Sunday, and I have lot of data yet to gather. Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Rjewell40 said...

Have a great trip, Chris. Travel safely.

:)

I Cappi said...

Dear Son:

Here in Milwauke, I am ready to begin my monitoring week while you are in Colombia. As you said, very appropriate since it was my place of birth.

I wish you a safe and productive trip to Medelin tomorrow. This is just greeting from Mommy and me. Tomorrow, I will be "all business".

Ti voglio tanto bene,

Il Babbo

Lucia Corral Pena said...

Great job last week Chris. You did an awesome job of planning ahead, scheduling important meetings and logistics. You continue to set yourself up for success. Given the intensity and scope of your visit in just one week, I can see how you needed to focus full time on your writing. It was great to share part of the ride with you Compa.

Chris said...

Thanks everyone!!