Friday, February 29, 2008

Personalism

2 hours researching, 1 hour writing, page count = 199

I worked on the comparative framework section of Chapter 1, focusing on background info on the 19th-century armies of the Southern Cone countries. Paraguay and Uruguay really do stand out as distinct. Paraguay's strongly militarized security forces have always been on the far end of the spectrum from Colombia's politicized security forces, but one analyst I was re-reading made a connection between Paraguay and Nicaragua as far as the personalism of their military regimes during the 20th century, how deinstitutionalized they were. Given that I have both countries in my "Colombia in comparative perspective" chapter, this gives me food for thought. But first, time to finish Chapter 1.

I also submitted a job application today, we'll see how that goes.

I'll have a new set of monitors next week. In the meantime, have a good weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey hermano - I know I"m supposed to wait until you write a new entry but I only get a week, so I thought I'd get a jumpstart. You are one of, if not the smartest, people I have come across and though this last push may feel like the toughest, I know you can do it. And we'll all be right here with you to support you...and nag you:) I know you must be serious if you asked me and Mom to help out - we are so good at that!
I got bit by a cat yesterday at a hoarder's house so I am typing this with one hand. It took me 10 mins to write this comment - I don't care if my thumb falls off, I will be a faithful reviewer this week!