Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Leavin' on a jet plane

2 hours writing, 1.5 hours reading, 1 hour emailing / travel planning, page count = 136

Continued to work my way through the manuscript, removing extraneous stuff and adding in new material where appropriate. I'm doing a fair bit of rearranging passages, actually. Given the piecemeal way I've worked on this project over the last few years prior to this June, there was a good deal of repetition when I brought all this different pieces together and arranged them into one. It's starting to hang together better as a single document, but there's still a way to go in that regard.

Also, I got my ticket for Colombia! My trip is set for October 9-27. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the archives, and of course, to seeing family and friends down there. I haven't been since 2003. I'm also planning trips to Princeton and Yale to attend seminars and meet with professors and graduate students. Ah, the joys of being in a train-friendly region. I'll also be gong to Berkeley in November to present at my department's Latin Americanist seminar. After a nice stretch at home this month, it's back to traveling in October.

On the reading side, I prepped for the Antioquia state archives by going through Blood and Fire to identify episodes of police aggression worth following up on. I got some ideas about the types of data I can gather that would put a unique spin on my project.

On the career side, I reached out to a number of colleagues to get more advice and job ideas. I want to keep that up, and see if I can't set up some appointments for when I get back from Colombia.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Well, the travel planning was good, but I would have liked to see a little more reading today. But points for making job contacts might cancel that out. So I guess everybody wins! Is it starting to feel like things are coming together? It seems like this has been a really good week for overall structure and cohesiveness. It's sounding to me less like pieces of a puzzle and more like the whole picture.

Anonymous said...

I'll echo Matthew. I'm delighted to see the writing hours:reading hours ratio coming more into balance... you do seem to focus on one or the other at times, don't you?
Well, as it all seems to be moving forward, well done!!

I met a woman last night who is going it alone to start a consulting business, helping people and foundations with their giving. When you come back to town, if she doesn't turn into a dork, I'll be sure to try and put y'all in touch for an information interview.

Rjewell40 said...

Damn, that last comment was from me. But I have multiple personality disorder...

Chris said...

Thanks guys!

Chris said...

P.S. It does feel like it's starting to come together. This week has been pivotal in terms of going through the whole thing in order and fitting it together as one document, rather than a collection of pieces written at different times. The problem is not inconsistency, but repetitiveness. Also, I went on some tangents over the summer - like the 3-state comparison - that didn't end up panning out, so the manuscript has been losing water weight. It's lean and mean now!