Friday, August 10, 2007

Crucial randomness

2.5 hours writing, 1 hour organizing, 0.5 hours emailing

New category today: "organizing" in this case means identifying all the data sources I've gathered, including during fieldwork, making an inventory of what I have, and figuring out what I need. It was very useful to see that I have more than I thought I did or remembered I did.

Emailing today was an important message to one of my advisors asking for advice on the whole subnational comparison piece. Our discussion on this next Friday will largely determine whether I go to Colombia in September to gather more data or not.

On the writing front, I fleshed out the section in the La Violencia chapter on the period right after the assassination of Gaitan in 1948, one of the incidents that sparked the whole civil conflict. Going through a key source, there are just so many allusions to conflicts between the army and the police, divisions within the police itself, and the consequences of this ambiguity for how the struggle played out. I really am onto something here. I'm thinking more and more that it's the randomness of the police's allegiance that's the key dynamic going on here....

Anyway, I'm up to 109 pages drafted, with 14 added this week.

Thanks to Nicole Peterson for monitoring this week! Next week is abbreviated: I'll be traveling to San Francisco for a wedding, although I will be visiting campus one day to meet with an advisor and take care of some bureaucratic stuff with the university. So next week I'll post on Monday and Friday, and the monitor for this shortened week will be the return engagement of Diana Kapiszewski, in Oakland, whom I'll probably also see in person during the week. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was my pleasure to monitor it, although I didn't give you nearly enough feedback. If I were smarter, i would offer to read the final product before you turn it in, but I fear I would have very little to add on Columbian Police States.

GOLD STAR for working on this every day. When I talked to folks about getting a PhD, they all expressed the frustration in the push of getting their dissertations out and recommended I choose a topic I hated to begin with because I would eventually grow to resent it. It sounds to me like you are still very interested by your research which sounds like a huge blessing in light of their experiences. I'll see you next week when I can congratulate you on your fantastic progress in person.

Any time you need another monitorererer, let me know!